Partner at the firm Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
Corporate Commercial Litigation and Arbitration; Intellectual Property Litigation
McGill University, LL.B., 1983
University of Calgary, B.A., 1975; University of Saskatchewan, M.A., 1979
Kevin LaRoche is a partner in our Intellectual Property Group in our Ottawa office. Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Intellectual Property Law (Patent), Kevin also has broad and substantial litigation experience, having acted as defence counsel in major criminal cases (from 1987 to 1992), counsel in insurance cases (from 1990 to 1994), and as a lead commercial litigator (from 1994 to 2000, inclusive). Kevin joined BLG in 1996, and has been a member of BLG's IP Group since 2001. He represents clients in patent, trade-mark, and copyright disputes.
Kevin has extensive trial experience before the Ontario Court and the Ontario Superior Court. As well, he has argued numerous cases before the Divisional Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal, and several cases before the Supreme Court of Canada. Kevin has appeared in a number of commercial arbitrations, including pricing arbitrations, and administrative tribunals, including the National Energy Board.
Since 2005, Kevin has taught civil procedure at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law.
· The Law Society of Upper Canada v CCH Canada Limited 2004 SCC 13.
· Kingston (City of) v Union Gas, March 28, 2003, Court File No. 29497.
· R. v Papalia,  2 S.C.R. 137; S.C.J. No. 69.
· Abercrombie & Fitch Co. v. Giant Tiger Stores Limited 2009 FC 492.
· NAV Canada v. Adacel Technologies Limited 2009 FCA 855.
· NAV Canada v. Adacel Technologies Limited 2006 FCA 227.
· Loblaws Inc. v. Telecombo Inc. 2006 FC 634.
· Loblaws Inc. v. No Frills Auto and Truck Rental Ltd. 2006 FC 537.
· Schlumberger Canada Limited v. Trican Well Service Ltd. (2005), 43 C.P.R. (4th) 335.
· Esco Corporation v. Quality Steel Foundries Ltd. 2005 FC 588.
· Esco Corporation v. Quality Steel Foundries Ltd. 2005 FC 589.
· F. Hoffman-La Roche AG v. Canada (Commissioner of Patents),  2 F.C.R. 405.
Publications & Presentations
· Editor, The Consolidated Intellectual Property Statutes and Regulations, Carswell.
· Editor, Canadian Bar Association IP Case Quarterly.
· Author, "Client Conflict Rules and Intellectual Property Practice in Canada," Coalition for Intellectual Property Rights publication, 2009.
· Editor, Consolidated Intellectual Property Statutes and Regulations, Thompson Carswell, 2004-07.
· Author, "The Problem of Fine Distinctions: The Propriety of Questions in a Patent Discovery," Dimock, Intellectual Property Disputes, Resolutions, and Remedies, Chapter 10.1, Thompson Carswell, 2006.
· Panellist, 14th Annual Intellectual Property Law: The Year in Review, Ottawa, 2010.
· Speaker, "Ethical Walls and Disqualification of Counsel," New York State Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section Summer Meeting, 2007.
· Speaker, "Monetizing IP: Analyzing and Leveraging Patent Portfolios," The New Intellectual Property Economy, Orrick, 2006.
· Speaker, "Managing Intellectual Property Disputes and Litigation," The New Intellectual Property Economy, Orrick, 2006.
· Speaker, "Experimental Use: What's Fair and What's Not," Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Spring Meeting, 2006.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Intellectual Property Law).
· Recognized in IAM Patent 1000 - The World's Leading Patent Practitioners 2013 for Litigation
· Member, The Advocates' Society
· Member, Canadian Bar Association (CBA); Chair, CBA Publicity Committee, Intellectual Property Section
· Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
· Member, International Bar Association
· Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
· Instructor (Civil Procedure), University of Ottawa Faculty of Law, 2005-present
World Exchange Plaza100 Queen Street, Suite 1100Ottawa, ON K1P 1J9, (City of Ottawa)Canada
Phone: 613.787.3516Fax: 613.787.3558
Disclaimer: No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The testimonial or endorsement does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter. Any result that the endorsed lawyer or law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate that similar results can be obtained for other clients. Past success cannot be an assurance of future success because each case must be decided on its own merits. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Martindale-Hubbell® does not undertake to develop a Client Review Rating or Peer Review Rating for all firms and/or lawyers. Therefore, the fact that a firm or lawyer has not been reviewed should not be construed as unfavorable. Martindale-Hubbell accepts no responsibility for and will not be liable for the content and accuracy of the individual Reviews and the aggregated Reviews.
Disclaimer: The information provided on Lawyers.com is not legal advice, Lawyers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no lawyer-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The lawyer listings on Lawyers.com are paid lawyer advertisements and do not in any way constitute a referral or endorsement by Lawyers.com or any approved or authorized lawyer referral service. Your access to and use of this site is subject to additional Terms and Conditions.
Martindale-Hubbell and martindale.com are registered trademarks; AV, BV, AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are registered certification marks; Lawyers.com and the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated Icon are service marks; and Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings are trademarks of Internet Brands, Inc., used under license. Other products and services may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.