Counsel at the firm Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
Health; Defamation and Media Law; Construction and Engineering; Corporate Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
University of Ottawa, LL.B., magna cum laude, 1975
Carleton University, B.A.
J. Bruce Carr-Harris is counsel in the Ottawa office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. Bruce practises as general counsel in civil litigation with a strong emphasis on public law, defamation, construction litigation, product liability, commercial litigation, professional liability, intellectual property and commercial litigation, including oppression remedies, injunctions, insurance litigation, franchise disputes. His dispute resolution practice also includes domestic and international arbitrations. Bruce has made many appearances as counsel in all courts in the Province of Ontario, the Federal Court of Canada and the Supreme Court of Canada.
· Counsel at the Royal Commission of Inquiry on the Blood System in Canada.
· Counsel at the Commission of Inquiry into the Deployment of Canadian Forces in Somalia.
· Counsel at the Commission of Proceedings involving Guy Paul Morin.
· Counsel for Canadian Olympic Committee at numerous sporting and team selection arbitrations, including at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, Lausanne, Switzerland (2003) for Beckie Scott.
· Counsel for the Elliot Lake Commission of Inquiry.
Publications & Presentations
· Lecturer, Author and Speaker for:
· The Advocates' Society;
· American College of Trial Lawyers;
· Law Society of Upper Canada including the Bar Admission Course;
· County of Carleton Law Association;
· Centre for Sport and Law;
· Federated Press Professional Liabilities Conference; and
· Ontario Bar Association Institute of Continuing Education.
· Member of the Editorial Board and Papers for Professional Liability and Discipline Quarterly and Canadian Journal of Insurance Law.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Law Society Medal recipient, 2012.
· Recognized as the 2014 Ottawa Legal Malpractice Law Lawyer of the Year and the 2013 Ottawa Administrative and Public Law Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in Canada®.
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition (and since 2006) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Administrative and Public Law, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Legal Malpractice Law).
· Recognized in the 2013 editions of Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Dispute Resolution: Ontario) and The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Litigation - Commercial Insurance, Litigation - Corporate Commercial, Litigation - Defamation and Media Law; Litigation - Directors' and Officers' Liability, Litigation - Public Law; Professional Liability).
· Recognized in Benchmark Canada - The Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys (Commercial Litigation, Construction Litigation, Intellectual Property, Product Liability).
· Inductee, University of Ottawa Common Law Honour Society.
· American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) (Fellow); President, ACTL, Canadian Foundation; Trustee, ACTL US Foundation; Chair, ACTL Committee on Specific Problems in the Administration of Justice (Canada)
· Former Member, Ontario Judicial Council, 2005-09
· Past-President, The Advocates' Society of Ontario, 2001-02
· Adjunct Professor, Advanced Torts, University of Ottawa Faculty of Common Law
· Member, Mentoring Panel, Law Society of Upper Canada
· Member, Board of Directors, Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa
· Member, Board of Directors, Project ORBIS Canada, a non-profit organization actively engaged in the reduction of blindness in the Developing World
· Member, Board of Directors, Sally Letson Foundation
· Volunteer for LawHelpOntario - County of Carleton Law Association and the Law Foundation of Ontario
World Exchange Plaza100 Queen Street, Suite 1100Ottawa, ON K1P 1J9, (City of Ottawa)Canada
Phone: 613.787.3505Fax: 613.230.8842
Disclaimer: No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The testimonial or endorsement does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter. Any result that the endorsed lawyer or law firm may achieve on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate that similar results can be obtained for other clients. Past success cannot be an assurance of future success because each case must be decided on its own merits. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Martindale-Hubbell® does not undertake to develop a Client Review Rating or Peer Review Rating for all firms and/or lawyers. Therefore, the fact that a firm or lawyer has not been reviewed should not be construed as unfavorable. Martindale-Hubbell accepts no responsibility for and will not be liable for the content and accuracy of the individual Reviews and the aggregated Reviews.
Disclaimer: The information provided on Lawyers.com is not legal advice, Lawyers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no lawyer-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The lawyer listings on Lawyers.com are paid lawyer advertisements and do not in any way constitute a referral or endorsement by Lawyers.com or any approved or authorized lawyer referral service. Your access to and use of this site is subject to additional Terms and Conditions.